North Hillsborough park-and-ride lot
GoTriangle is continuing its search to find a replacement for the North Hillsborough park-and-ride lot to allow Orange County and Hillsborough residents to access the Orange-Durham Express (Route ODX). That bus route provides peak hour bus service between Mebane and Hillsborough to the Duke/VA Medical Centers and downtown Durham. The park-and-ride lot will include parking for 35 to 50 daily customers, transit amenities and capacity for two buses at a time. We’re looking at sites along U.S. 70 within the general area between NC 86 and St. Mary’s. Here is an update on the effort and our progress to date:
Adopted plans and programs
The 2014 Orange County Bus Program highlighted a need for a park-and-ride lot along the U.S. 70 corridor. The program was adopted by the Orange County commissioners and the GoTriangle Board of Trustees. The Orange County Bus and Rail Investment Plan was adopted.
- GoTriangle was operating a park-and-ride lot in North Hillsborough on private property from the summer of 2014 to the summer 2015. The property was sold and the new property owner told GoTriangle that the lease would end in the fall of 2015.
- GoTriangle has been actively working with the Town of Hillsborough and Orange County to identify a permanent location for a park-and-ride lot.
- We reached out to businesses, residents and a church in an effort to secure a location.
- We met with New Hope Church and discussed improving its parking lot to make it suitable for a park-and-ride lot. We had a number of productive conversations but were unable to reach an agreement.
- We expanded our search and met again with the town and county to discuss potential sites. We identified a potential location and have reached out to the property owner. We are evaluating the site to determine whether it is suitable for a park-and-ride location. We will continue to provide updates as soon as we know more.
Renaissance park & ride lot
Served by GoTriangle Route 800 and 800S. Renaissance is a free park-and-ride lot in front of the HomeGoods along Renaissance Parkway. To access, enter the shopping center at traffic center near Tomato Jake's Pizzeria, turn right in front of Harvest 18 and then turn right into designated park-and-ride spaces.